Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Never tear us apart...

Three years ago today I married my best friend. It's hard to believe that three years have gone by already, yet here we are. It seems like only yesterday we were taking our vows and taking that next step in our lives. We've had some great times over the past few years. Some bad times too -- the past five months being the toughest -- but if I've learned anything over the past few months its that I'm married to the toughest, bravest, most remarkable woman I know. She's taken anything life has thrown at her and came back fighting.

Still I can't help wondering, "What else can life throw at us?"

We've already been through so much over the past few months. Diagnosis. Surgery. A 12-day hospital stay. Chemotherapy. It's been overwhelming. A fucking whirlwind. Yet Sarah has not broken. Her spirit is resilient. Never once has she asked for one ounce of pity and if there's anyone I know more deserving of sympathy, it's her. A lesser person would feel sorry for themselves or simply just give up. But Sarah sees every obstacle as an opportunity. A chance to learn, grow and enrich the lives of others as well as her own. This whole thing has already inspired us both to look at our lives and question: "What else can we do?"

And that's the spirit of "be relentless." It's more than just two words that sound cool together. It's become her battle cry for the past five months. She lives it. She embodies it.

So now there's four more weeks of chemotherapy. Boom. You can count that on one hand.

Today, at lunch after treatment we were talking about how fast our past three years of marriage had gone by and how even this year, as shitty as it's been is moving so quickly. Now we're rounding the corner of whats been the hardest few months of our lives.

Normally, Sarah and I would be in Boston right about now. Soaking in a ball game at Fenway Park, watching our boys from the bleachers and eating delicious, stale, over priced ballpark food. This isn't the anniversary we had planned at the start of the year, yet we're making the most of it (an afternoon nap with her and four of the craziest pets ever seems about right).

It's strange to think that the girl who was pushed into me 12 years ago at a concert would wind up being my wife, fate brought us together. A chance meeting through a crowd of thousands. Good thing I stuck around after the end of the show...even better thing that she approached me and asked for my number! It took two weeks of hanging out everyday before I finally worked up the guts to officially ask her out (looking back, I can't believe I was too daft to realize that she totally was into me). It would be another 8 years before I'd ask her to marry me (thanks for waiting so long, Beanz!). And looking back that far, it seems like it wasn't really all that long ago. And here we are, twelve years later...
that's beautiful.

Happy anniversary, Beanz. Here's to 90 more! That'd make me what? 122?







3 comments:

  1. Cheers, man. My thoughts and prayers to you and more importantly, your lady. -- Mendola

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best HUSBAND in the world!!

    ReplyDelete