Wednesday, January 26, 2011

uncommon valor

Last Tuesday marked the one year anniversary of Sarah being diagnosed with breast cancer. I mean to post an update on the actual anniversary but couldn't bring myself to do so.

I wanted to recap that day, that day our lives were turned upside down. It seems like it wasn't that long ago, yet so much has happened between that time. Trials and tribulations, but also triumphs. It certainly hasn't been easy. Sarah was put through a hell that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. How she fought through it all is a testament of her be relentless attitude. She faced this thing head on.

I remember her walking in with her mother after she got the results. The whole time she was gone I was preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I was hoping she would walk through the door, huge smile on her face and would give me the "all clear" thumbs up. But that's not how it played out. She walked in..and I can tell by the look on her face what the answer was. I'll tell you, man -- nothing prepares you for that moment; having the love of your life tell you that she has cancer. It was like a kick in the throat. I was speechless. Everything started going in slow motion. I could hear my heartbeat. It was echoing through my body and then I went numb. I was devastated. I threw my arms around her and gave her a hug.

"Everything's gonna be alright, baby. I promise." I said. But I had no idea what we were getting into. I had no idea what we were up against. And I'll tell you this:

I.
WAS.
SCARED.

I was afraid of the unknown. We were both scared. We were far too young to be going through what we were about to embark upon.

But just as we sat there digesting the news, Sarah turned to me and said: "I'm going to beat this. I'm going to get the best treatment I can and beat this." And through all this, even when she was shaken to her core, she never backed down. And that's really what this entry is about. It's about Sarah's never give up vigor. Things got tough, Sarah got tougher.

One year is behind us officially and Sarah is just as relentless as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment